Audio Enhancement Techniques
- Reliably digitize audio recordings onto a computer system, typically in WAV (lossless) or MP3 (lossy) formats.
- Filter out hiss, click and pop sounds. This is common with recordings that may have suffered partial data loss with age.
- Block out or quiet ranges and specific frequencies (such as 60Hz wall power, and its multiples, within the USA and Japan).
- Isolate unwanted constant tones or patterns and then removing those items from across the entire recording.
- When the recording is in stereo, reference the channels to each other to perform directional noise cancelling.
- Normalize voices so that each audible person is heard at equal volumes.
- Smooth sounds that border nearly inaudible gaps. These gaps include those created during the filtering process.
- Prepare a transcript of audio and words heard
- Testify in court about the enhancement done and the audio and words heard
Audio Enhancement Course
What you'll learn
- Introduction to Audio Forensics
- Forensic Fundamentals
- Audio Forensics Principles
- Admissibility of Audio Evidence
- Foundations in Audio Engineering
- Sound and Acoustics
- Audio Recording Flow
- Sound Digitization
- Digital Signal Processing
- Digital Media and Evidence Recovery
- Bit Stream Imaging
- File Carving
- File Repair
- Forensic Audio Enhancement
- Noise Reduction
- Digital Filters
- Spectral Subtraction
- Adaptive Filters
- Stereo Source Separation
- Real-Time Processing
- DC Live
- Noise Reduction
- Practice and Discussion
- Evidence Seizure and Acquisition
- Enhancement Practice
- Notes and Report Writing
- Preparation of Enhanced Material
What it costs
|Cash Price (once-off)||R 1,500.00|
|Monthly (12 months)||R 200.00|
Looking for new challenges in the field of audio forensics?
Intertel is anything but ordinary, and so is the work that we do. Interesting, challenging and rewarding work is what you can expect.
We’re not just looking for people with the requisite technical skill, qualifications and work experience… we’re looking for innovative and resourceful professionals with excellent communication skills, meticulous recordkeeping habits and flawless attention to detail.
You’ll need to have a logical mindset, yet also be capable of abstract and creative thinking, in order to resolve complex technical issues under pressure.
You must be able to work collaboratively and productively with others yet feel at home and confident handling tasks on your own.
If this describes you, then you’ll fit right in, and we’d love to start a conversation with you about a successful career at Intertel.
Specialized, and relatively expensive, audio processing and analysis software, filters and plugins are essential for forensic audio enhancement and clarification. A private person wanting to enhance an audio recording would be better off paying a forensic company for a once-off service, than spending tens of thousands of Rand on software that might only be used once.
A handful of free, open-source products have emerged in recent years, and are gradually becoming more accepted as useful tools by the audio forensics community. These free products are often capable of enhancing audio recordings, but generally require a greater level of knowledge and skill to use effectively.
Below we list our favorite audio forensic software. Prices are estimates based on the exchange rates at the time of writing. The “buy now” link will take you to that product’s checkout page where the current, correct price will be displayed.
|Product||Price (ZAR)||More info||Purchase|
|Diamond Cut Forensics 10||R 29,999.00||Get more info||Buy now|
|iZotope RX 5 Advanced||R 29,999.00||Get more info||Buy now|
|Acon Acoustica 6||R 23,999.00||Get more info||Buy now|
|Avid Audio Suite||R 19,999.00||Get more info||Buy now|
|DAC QuickEnhance||R 13,999.00||Get more info||Buy now|
|Ozone 7 Advanced||R 9,999.99||Get more info||Buy now|
|DCVST Automatic Forensics Adaptive Filter||R 7,999.00||Get more info||Buy now|
|CEDAR Trinity™||price on request||Get more info||Request price|
|Ocean Systems dTective||price on request||Get more info||Request price|